Many different illnesses and injuries result in life-limiting disabilities. The Acute Rehabilitation Unit at Ohio Valley Hospital’s specially trained staff helps our patients overcome difficulties associated with these ailments and assists them in getting back home as quickly as possible.
Our Acute Rehabilitation Unit takes a multi-disciplinary approach to healing. This includes rehabilitation, therapy, education, and counseling. All together, our approach will enable you to live life as fully as possible; restoring as much independence as possible.
We are able to admit patients from many different locations.
- Skilled Nursing facilities
- Assisted Living facilities
- Personal Care homes
- Physician offices
- Your own home
We accept most major forms of insurance.
Conditions We Treat
Our care team provides comprehensive services for patients with a wide variety of ailments that include function loss.
- Brain/head trauma or disorders
- Amputation and prosthetic fitting and training
- Spinal cord injuries and/or spine dysfunctions
- Major multiple trauma
- Orthopedic conditions
- Hip or femur fractures
- Total joint replacements
- Cardiovascular or pulmonary issues
- Neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease and Multiple Sclerosis
- Health issues stemming from or related to cancer
The aforementioned conditions may cause a variety of issues and ailments.
- Balance deficits
- Difficulty walking
- Issues with speech or swallowing
- Loss in problem solving or memory function
- Trouble completing daily activities like:
- Washing your hair
- Cooking breakfast
- Getting in and out of a car
We will work with you to ensure any needs you have are met with your recovery plan.
You will work closely with our staff to return home and start living with as much independence as possible. We work with patients on a wide variety of areas.
- Balance, strength, and coordination
- Ambulation and wheelchair training
- Speech, swallowing, and communication
- Getting in and out of bed; other Transfer Training
- Grooming, bathing, dressing, and toileting
- Homemaking skills; other Daily Living Activities
- Cognition and improving memory deficits or impairments
- Muscle strengthening: endurance and energy conservation training
- Pain management
Your Recovery Plan
Our specialized care team will work together to build you an individualized recovery plan. Thanks to our hospital-based rehabilitation program, different departments from our Hospital will take part in your care.
Our unit is a hospital-based rehabilitation program. This unique opportunity allows Ohio Valley Hospital services to be readily available to our patients, whether they require physician specialists, emergency services, wound care specialists, diabetes educators, dialysis or a pharmacy.
Individualized Recovery Plan Options
- Rehabilitation Medicine, including daily doctor visits
- Other physician specialists
- 24 Hour rehabilitation nursing
- Intensive therapies
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Social Work (Case Management/discharge planning)
- Patient/family education and training
- Dialysis on site
- Orthotic and Prosthetic services
- Nutritional counseling
- Spiritual counseling
Help at Home
Family education and training is an integral part of our program. Our best success stories involve patients who return home with a support team of people they know and trust, who are armed with a better understanding of their condition, and equipped with the right tools and strategies to manage it.
Please visit our brochure for more information on our Acute Rehabilitation Unit.
Visiting a loved one? You may do so from 11:00a.m.-8:00p.m.
Location and Contact Us
Our Acute Rehabilitation Unit is located on the 3rd floor of the Main Hospital. You may access this unit by the elevator on either end of the 1st floor.
To learn more about our Acute Rehabilitation Unit or for a free pre-admission assessment, please call 412-777-6770.
Some of the other Hospital Services you may utilize during your stay with us include: