Historical Timeline

1800

1890s

1890s
During the 1890s, the McKees Rocks Hospital was established in Norwood, a neighborhood of McKees Rocks, PA, by Dr. Samuel McCune Black.
1900

1901

1901
Our School of Nursing opened its doors in 1901.

1904

1904
Our first student, Annabell McAnulty, graduated in 1904 (head here for the full account of her ceremony).

1906

1906
The once private Hospital was chartered in 1906 as the non-profit Ohio Valley General Hospital.

1930

1930
In 1930, the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, with a long tradition of healthcare ministry, took over management of the Hospital. The institution remained a non-sectarian, community hospital.

1947 – 1949

1947 – 1949
In December of 1947, the cornerstone for the new foundation was laid. The new building opened in the spring of 1949, on what is now known as Heckel Road. The farm house remained on the property for a few years.

1956

1956
When the Hospital upgraded to a larger space, our School of Nursing was able to do so as well. Originally accommodating 65 students, the new building was constructed in 1956. Our school became fully accredited in 1959.

1963

1963
In 1963, our Hospital began a School of Radiologic Technology. A newspaper account of their first capping exercise in 1964 can be found here.

1968

1968
In 1968 the Hospital's campus saw even more changes. The School of Nursing was remodeled, and a three story addition to the Hospital was made. This enlarged the Emergency and Outpatient facilities, provided new offices for physicians and administrators and added new Laboratory and Radiology facilities.

1988

1988
Our Medical Office Building was opened in May of 1988. This is a space filled with physicians who work for other hospital networks, independent physicians, and Ohio Valley Hospital owned-physicians. It exists to keep our community healthy and provide accessible health care to all.
2000

2000

2000
Recent expansion included a foray into Senior Living. Senior Living at The Willows was built across the street on Heckel Road in the early 2000s, with The Residence at Willow Lane, a contemporary personal care community, Willow Heights, an independent living apartment center, and Pathways Memory Care, for those who need help with memory loss.

2001

2001
Our School of Nursing celebrated its 100 year mark in 2001. The school typically has class sizes of 50 students per year, and operates as an accredited 19 month program.

2014

2014
In 2014, Ohio Valley General Hospital again changed its name: this time to Ohio Valley Hospital. With the transition, our Hospital has been able to introduce a new modern look to support our state-of-the-art medical technology, first-rate medical staff, and dedicated employees, while maintaining a convenient, personal, and close-to-home experience for every patient.

2015

2015
Our School of Radiography celebrated it’s 50th commencement in 2015. You can read more about that ceremony here. This very selective program is open to 9 students a year, and graduating students earn an Associate's Degree in Health Science from La Roche College, alongside a Certificate of Radiologic Technology.

Today

Today
Now as “Ohio Valley Hospital,” we celebrate our independence as a community hospital, and reassure our patients, friends, and neighbors that we are close to you. Just like family.