The best way to kick off 3.1 miles is to feel fully energized. That’s why Ohio Valley Hospital and Kennedy Township’s 38th annual 5K once again offered delicious energy bars to the 259 runners and walkers who took part in this year’s race. Made by OVH’s Head Chef Tom DiGori, the bars are snapped up in minutes year after year before participants take off on our hilly course.
Due to multiple requests for this delicious pre-race snack, Chef Tom has agreed to share his recipe! Feel free to share with us pictures of your own attempts to make this delightful, tasty, and best of all HEALTHY treat!
OVH’s Own Energy Bars:
- ½ cup of dry roasted; salted peanuts
- ½ cup of roasted sunflower seeds, or other chopped nuts as desired
- 2 cups of raisins, or other chopped dried fruit as desired
- 2 cups of rolled or instant oats
- 2 cups of toasted rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- ¼ cup of toasted wheat germ (optional)
- ½ cup of creamy or crunchy natural peanut butter
- ½ cup of packed brown sugar
- ½ cup of light corn syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Active Prep: 15 minutes
- Ready In: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the peanuts, sunflower seeds (or other nuts), raisins (or other dried fruits), oats, rice cereal and wheat germ (if using) into a large bowl.
- Combine peanut butter, brown sugar and corn syrup (or honey) into a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on High until bubbling; 1 to 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir until blended.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until fully-coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Press down mixture firmly into pan. (It helps to coat your fingers with cooking spray.) Let dish stand for about 1 hour to harden. Cut into bars.
Individually wrap each bar in plastic and keep at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can also freeze them for up to 1 month; thaw at room temperature.
If you feel like making these energy bars at home, send us a picture of your attempt! You just might see it on our social media pages!