During the 1890’s, McKees Rocks Hospital was established in Norwood by Dr. Samuel McCune Black. The once private-hospital was chartered in 1906 as the non-profit Ohio Valley General Hospital. Because the hospital’s 30 beds were usually were filled to capacity, a new wing was added in 1909.
In 1930, the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, with a long tradition of healthcare ministry, took over management of the hospital. The institution remained a non-sectarian, community hospital. As time passed, as many as 83 patients were crowded into a facility designed for 60 beds. It was clear even more space was needed.
Knowing this, the wife of skilled physician Edward B. Heckel made acreage available to the hospital, in his honor, for a nominal price. The space was just two miles from the original site in Kennedy Township. In December of 1947, the cornerstone for the new foundation was laid. The new building opened in the spring of 1949, on what is now known as Heckel Road.
Meanwhile, the School of Nursing graduated its first student in 1904 (head here for the full account of her ceremony). When the hospital upgraded to a larger space, the school as able to do so as well. Originally accommodating 65 students, the building constructed in 1956. The school became fully accredited in 1959. Since 1963, the hospital has also operated a School of Radiologic Technology.
In 1968 the OVGH campus saw even more changes. The School of Nursing was remodeled, and a three story addition to the Hospital was made. This enlarged the Emergency and Outpatient facilities, provided new offices for physicians and administrators and added new Laboratory and Radiology facilities.
The Medical Office Building was opened in May, 1988. Improvements to the facility and critical upgrades continue to this day. Renovation of the nursing units has also been ongoing.
Recent expansion includes the Residence at Willow Lane, a contemporary assisted living community, and the construction of Willow Heights, an independent living facility.
In 2014, the name of Ohio Valley General Hospital again changed: this time to Ohio Valley Hospital. With the name change, the hospital has been able to introduce a new modern look to support our state-of-the-art medical technology, first-rate medical staff, and dedicated employees, while maintaining a convenient, personal, and close-to-home experience for every patient. Now as “Ohio Valley Hospital,” we celebrate our independence as a community hospital, and reassure our patients, friends, and neighbors that we are close to you. Just like family.